[ardour-users] [OT] Rant + Re: problems after upgrade from beta28 (debian packages)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jan 9 04:54:48 PST 2006

> > [ERROR]: FileSource:
> > "/home/me/Documents/Recordings/mixes/sunday_morning/sunday_morning_ardour/s
> >unday_morning/sounds//Sunday_Morning_intro_clean-TIMEFX-0.wav" bad write
> > (Invalid argument) [ERROR]: error writing tempo-adjusted data to
> > Sunday_Morning_intro_clean-TIMEFX-0.wav [ERROR]:
> > Sunday_Morning_intro_clean-TIMEFX-0.wav: could not write read raw data for
> > peak computation (Invalid argument)
> > \------------------------------------------/
>
> This is a know debian bug (I think - I have reported it. If you cancel the
> timefx does ardour disappear)  Why debian are allowing this kind of in your
> face bug even  into testing is questionable?

note also that we (meaning the core ardour development team) do not
support Debian's decision to compile ardour with the SYSLIBS option,
even though we provided it for them. SYSLIBS tells the build system not
to compile and link against the versions of several C++ libraries
contained in the ardour source tree, but to use system-installed
versions instead. the continuing changes to the g++ ABI make it
extremely hazardous to link against C++ libraries other than ones
supplied with the compiler itself.

debian people have claimed, and continue to claim, that use SYSLIBS is
safe and works for all or almost all debian users. they have not (and
probably cannot) prove to our satisfaction that this is the case.

i don't know if this is relevant to the timefx bug described, but since
timefx relies (currently) on libsoundtouch, which is one of the
libraries in question, it might possibly be relevant.

--p