[ardour-users] [OT] Rant + Re: problems after upgrade from beta28 (debian packages)

David Mulcahy eseol at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 04:40:09 PST 2006

On Sunday 08 January 2006 23:57, jbs (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm sorry if this is not an appropriate post or if it's only a debian
> issue, but after upgrading my system to debian testing (upgrading ardour to
> v0.99 from beta28, I believe) I have been having numerous problems that
> weren't present with the earlier version.

Not sure about the xruns. I have used a similar setup but with a realtime
kernel and found it very stable.

> First, after using ardour for a few minutes (e.g. playing through a
> session) I will get xruns, either a few or a never-ending stream of them,
> and ardour will disconnect from jack. I will then get the message
> "zombified - calling shutdown handler" in the ardour xterm. Here is an
> example of the xruns in jackd in one instance:
>

> The second problem I have noticed is that when attempting to use the timefx
> tool, the progress stalls earlier into the stretch operation and waits a
> minute or two and then fails with this error (sometimes crashing ardour):
>
> /------------------------------------------\
> [ERROR]: FileSource:
> "/home/me/Documents/Recordings/mixes/sunday_morning/sunday_morning_ardour/s
>unday_morning/sounds//Sunday_Morning_intro_clean-TIMEFX-0.wav" bad write
> (Invalid argument) [ERROR]: error writing tempo-adjusted data to
> Sunday_Morning_intro_clean-TIMEFX-0.wav [ERROR]:
> Sunday_Morning_intro_clean-TIMEFX-0.wav: could not write read raw data for
> peak computation (Invalid argument)

This is a know debian bug (I think - I have reported it. If you cancel the
timefx does ardour disappear)  Why debian are allowing this kind of in your
face bug even  into testing is questionable?

Dave