[ardour-users] Some Usage Questions

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Sat Jan 7 16:16:10 PST 2006

Solv (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
> Lastly would anyone be able to give me an example jack command line settings to stop the timing
> problem that occurs with dual core AMD64bit systems, I am getting hundreds of xruns....

Hi Andy,

hundreds of xruns are to much. By the well known AMD dual core problem,
I get one casual xrun from time to time (sometimes one per hour, sometimes
one afer five minutes, always without any notiecable clicks).

I /did/ have hundreds of xruns as well before I managed to activate the
realtime option of jack (can be done via qjackctl). For this to work, you
need the realtime-lsm module (so the jack process can gain realtime
capabilities). DeMuDi and 64Studio disribute this module by default, but
I don't know anything about other distros. (If you start jack with the
qjackctl frontend, it displays a "RT" indicator)

If you run a kernel =<2.6.13 you will probalby need the realtime kernel
patch form Ingo Molnar as well. Kernels 2.6.14 and above have largely improved
latency behaviour (much of Ingo's patch is now included in the vanilla
kernel source), so if you don't want extremely low latencies, you
probably don't need an additional realtime patch for recent kernels

hope this helps
Cheers,
Hermann