[ardour-users] sync imported wav files

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Mon Jan 2 17:52:34 PST 2006

Paul Winkler wrote:
> Well, I'm assuming that both recorders were running continuously. I don't know what "small
> hiccups" could be caused by, except somebody pausing one of the recorders, or an EXTREMELY
> horrible jittery clock. ....

Some time ago, we did some larger recordings (under very chaotic circumstances):
we were just able to place several DAT at different locations, each connected
with a pair of mics.

I did what you described (albeit it was on windows and I wrote a tiny C program
myself to do the minimal time stretching). In almost all cases this procedure
works like a charm, as the clocs of the DATs are rather stable.
But at one instance, we hat a rather aged DAT machine that seemingly "didn't like the tape":
it produced three glitches of about half a second during the three hours of performance.
As you can imagine, it was a horrible bunch of work to find the location of this tiny
glitches...

(btw: we used DDS90 streamer tapes giving three hours recording length; of couse this is
officially not supported and you have to be careful with fast ff/rewind, but it works quite well)

Cheers,
Hermann