[ardour-users] Disk system not fast enough for reading but ...

Eric Devost ericdevost at telaneos.com
Sun Feb 26 18:58:46 PST 2006

Hi all,

When mastering with Jamin, I got this error message from Ardour :

"The disk system on your computer was not able to keep up with Ardour.
Specificaly, it failed to read data from disk quickly enough to keep up
with playback."

This only happen when I have more than two tracks in an Ardour project,
wich is 100% the case ... :)

The strange thing is that this message does'nt show if I record instead
of reading ! So I can (when jamin is up) easily record 8 tracks without
seeing this message but if I remove the record buttons and start just
reading the tracks, it fails.

Cpu is not overload when it happens neither is the memory.It happens
more quickly if I lower down the frame/period setup in jack and I can
see that the buffering showing in Ardour gets down to 0% just before it
happens, so I guess it has something to do with buffering...

My hard drive is tuned fine with DMA enabled, I have a lowlat patched
kernel and I tried to edit the .ardou.rc file to change the
track-buffer-seconds to 2 insted of 3 (as mentioned on the Ardour-devel
list) with no success.

Does anybody has a clue of what might be causing that ? Could this be a
bug in Ardour ?

Thanx a lot for taking time to read this messsage and for trying to help,

Eric,
--
Eric Devost
Studio Cadence