[ardour-users] Native file size limit

Ichthyostega prg at ichthyostega.de
Sun Feb 26 15:01:54 PST 2006

Brett Clark wrote:
> Yes, the file is stored in a RIFF/WAV format which has a maximum size of 2.1 Gig.  This means
> that 96 khz sample at 32 bits will get you less than an hour.  Since you cant get more size out
> of it, then the only way to get more time from it is to either drop to 16 bit (yuch) or drop the
> SR to 48khz or 44.1khz.

Hi Brett,
Hi Lars,

the problem is not that worse at 96kHz: as ardour is recording mono waves, you have a little bit
more than 1:30 h on a single take. To circumvent the problem, it is sufficient to just press stop,
then again the record button an play again /before/ the limit is reached. In most cases, there will
be some oppertunity to do so in the course of about one hour music (e.g. a short break between two
parts of a lager work). Make sure, you don't have the setting "stop recording at xruns" because this
sometimes can interfere at the moment of stopping and thus hindering you to get record running quickly.

I just did several longer recordings at 96kHz last week and this procedure worked fine.

Regards,
Hermann Vosseler