[ardour-users] Native file size limit

Brett Clark Brett at ciscoinc.com
Fri Feb 24 07:07:28 PST 2006

Yes, the file is stored in a RIFF/WAV format which has a maximum size of 2.1 Gig.  This means that 96 khz sample at 32 bits will get you less than an hour.  Since you cant get more size out of it, then the only way to get more time from it is to either drop to 16 bit (yuch) or drop the SR to 48khz or 44.1khz.

On the brighter side, from some postings back in January, it sounds like Paul and the guys are working on using a 64 bit format (w64) in Ardour2.

--Brett