[ardour-users] A simpler Xrun question

blindman jones erleichda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 05:54:58 PST 2006

On 2/8/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/8/06, Ruben Lopez <rl1205 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 19:31:48 -0800, Mark Knecht was like:
> > > Ruben,
> > > Hi. They show up any time as soon as they happen.
> >
> > Thanks Mark. I am only seeing them appear in JACK's message window when I stop recording - I can record for several minutes without an Xrun, but as soon as I stop I get one. Is that an indication of any particular problem?
> >

> > Ruben
> >

> Well, it's an indication of something, but whether it's a problem I'm
> not sure. Here are the possibiilities. I have NO idea which one is
> really true.
>
> 1) It's a real xrun that happens when you hit stop. In this case there
> was a cycle of data that didn't get somewhere on time. However, it's
> at the end of your audio stream. You'll probably not use that part of
> the audio anyway so it does not matter. Don't worry about it.
>
> 2) It's a real xrun that happened somewhere in the middle of your
> recording but for some reason wasn't reported until you hit stop. In
> this case you'll have a clock or pop somewhere. That's a real problem
> and it does probably matter.
>
> 3)It's not a real xrun. It's some software problem that reports it
> when it didn't really happen. All the audio is good.
>
> Frankly, if I had to bet I'd say it's #1. I've not heard of anyone
> else talking about this sort of problem. It sounds specific to your
> machine.

Nope, it happens to me every single time I finish a recording. For me,
it was like not fixing the broken dash light that indicates your left
blinker is on... the law being that at least ONE thing must be broken
on your car at all times, if you fixed the 10 cent dash light, the
engine might die...

I just hit "reset" on Jack and all was well and have never found any
problems, i.e. clicks or pops, in my recordings.

--
michael jones * erleichda archiving * usa
shivering is the first step towards your destiny.....