[ardour-users] Ardour - Too much speed :-)

Matt Savigear mcs_ardour at savigear.com
Mon Feb 6 09:09:23 PST 2006

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 17:59:40 +0100 (CET)
Gabriel Meier <gabrielsworld2001 at yahoo.de> wrote:
> I installed Ardour a few days ago on my box, to find
> an alternative to Cubase and imported my recorded
> wav-files from my multitracker into Ardour. It worked
> fine till I pressed the Play Button. Every Track was
> about 10-20 bpm faster than the original one. Is there
> a settings I should be editing first or where does
> this come from?

Your ardour project is set at a certain sample rate as mandated by
jack. This is probably jack's default of 48KHz. Your samples will by
played back at this rate regardless of their original sampling frequency
(probably 44.1KHz by the sound of it).

Either:
- restart jack at 44.1KHz, and reload your project. Ardour will
complain about the change in frequency but should still work.
- restart jack at 44.1KHz and start a new project, to avoid complaints!
- resample your original sources at 48KHz and reimport them.

> The wav-file was imported correct, cos Audacity plays
> it in right speed.

Audacity does not use jack, and is therefore not constrained by the
sample rate at which jack is running. It will play your samples at
the originally sampled speed, thus they will sound fine.

HTH,

Matt.