[ardour-users] GUI crash

Geoff Beasley songshop at bizmedia.com.au
Thu Feb 2 08:01:36 PST 2006

G'day Matt,

One of the truely great things about Adour is that the recording engine
threads independently of the graphics engine. Meaning that even if your PC
GUI locks up, it's possible the record thread is still active. This
architecture saved me from disaster some months back when i found a race
condition that left no ram after 20 min, but i saw disk activity so let the
machine run for a further 40 mins. This was a live gig recording, so could
have been a real downer.

However, I lost absolutely nothing ! Ahhh. Linux; don't you love it !

That bug was fixed the same day by Sampo.
I found another one last week, reported it yesterday on IRC & that one was
fixed by Jesse Chappel. Immediately ! Jesse was kind enough to rebuild the
source straight away; I then downloaded the new tarball and compiled.
Immediately!

This DAW makes commercial Daw software houses look and smell decidedly
offensive, let alone the "quality" of their software.

 And Ardour is quickly becoming simply the best DAW there is; period.

there endeth the lesson.

:)

g.