[ardour-users] newbie: exporting to mp3

Andy Joslin andy.joslin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 17:49:14 PDT 2005

Thanks everyone for the help... some of you who responded both on and
off-list had some really helpful ideas. I'm sorry I opened up a can of
worms... please forgive the newbie.

Although I disagree that a DAW has no business 'exporting' a lossy format...
While it's main goal is quality sound, it's not inconcievable that an mp3 be
generated every now and then. For now I will use an external converter. I
was just trying to keep the whole process simple, since there are some in
our shop that aren't familiar with linux, and could be dangerous at the
command line.

tomAto ... tomaato

Thanks again,

great gorup BTW

On 9/13/05, Paul Roberts <raulpoberts at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Paul about the functionality of a DAW not including lossy
> compression since the objectives of those two elements are very different
> and there are so many quality applications that already exist for that
> purpose.
>
> I disagree with perspective that compressed audio formats are an artifact
> with a shelf life of 3-8 years. However this is not the forum for that
> topic...
>
> Paul
>

> On 9/13/05, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> > > This is because of the patent issue.
> >
> > no its not, although that is a relevant issue.
> >
> > the real problems are:
> >
> > 1) converting audio to some kind of compressed format is
> > an operation with a huge number of parameters that
> > the user may potentially want to control. there are
> > already good interfaces for doing this, and i do not
> > see a lot of point in reimplementing a complex
> > GUI element within Ardour when this functionality is
> > available for free, with ongoing development and support,
> > from several other more focused projects. This is not
> > Windows - one application doesn't have to do everything.
> >
> > 2) I am not sure of the role that I think compressed audio
> > (not FLAC, i mean lossy compression) plays in the operation
> > of a DAW. compressed audio formats are an artifact of
> > inadequate network bandwidth and/or flash memory and/or
> > disk space. this means they have an expected shelf live
> > of another 3-8 years (at a guess). I prefer to think
> > that the job of a DAW is to produce the best possible
> > audio, presumably in PCM format, and then leave it to
> > more appropriate other tools to convert that when
> > necessary to compressed formats.
> >
> > --p

Andy.Joslin
~ is a geek ~