[ardour-users] ardour doesn't like my controller

moron moron at industrial.org
Fri Oct 28 21:26:48 PDT 2005

Howdy.  As mentioned previously I am having difficulty getting Ardour to
recognize my Korg microControl.  I am not clear whether this is an Ardour
thing, an issue with Jack, an issue with the microKontrol, user error (i.e.
bad configuration choices) or some combination of these.  What I can say is
that Rosegarden recognizes the microKontrol and record both notes and
controller information from it.

Here is what Rosegarden spits out from its "sequencer settings" dialogue:

--------------
Rosegarden 4-1.0 - AlsaDriver - alsa-lib version 1.0.9

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - JACK sample rate = 44100Hz, buffer size = 32
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - creating disk thread
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - found 10 JACK physical outputs
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "rosegarden:master out L" to
"alsa_pcm:playback_1"
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "rosegarden:master out R" to
"alsa_pcm:playback_2"
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - found 12 JACK physical inputs
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "alsa_pcm:capture_1" to
"rosegarden:record in 1 L"
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - connecting from "alsa_pcm:capture_2" to
"rosegarden:record in 1 R"
JackDriver::initialiseAudio - initialised JACK audio subsystem

  ALSA Client information:

    64,0 - (M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MIDI, M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MIDI)
(DUPLEX) [ctype 2, ptype 2, cap 127]
    72,0 - (microKONTROL, microKONTROL MIDI 1)			(DUPLEX) [ctype 2, ptype 2,
cap 127]
    72,1 - (microKONTROL, microKONTROL MIDI 2)			(DUPLEX) [ctype 2, ptype 2,
cap 127]
    72,2 - (microKONTROL, microKONTROL MIDI 3)		(READ ONLY) [ctype 2, ptype 2,
cap 37]

Creating device 0 in Play mode for connection 64:0 M Audio Audiophile 24/96
MIDI (duplex)
Default device name for this device is MIDI external device
Creating device 1 in Record mode for connection 64:0 M Audio Audiophile 24/96
MIDI (duplex)
Default device name for this device is MIDI hardware input device
Creating device 2 in Play mode for connection 72:0 microKONTROL MIDI 1
(duplex)
Default device name for this device is MIDI external device 2
Creating device 3 in Record mode for connection 72:0 microKONTROL MIDI 1
(duplex)
Default device name for this device is MIDI hardware input device 2
Creating device 4 in Play mode for connection 72:1 microKONTROL MIDI 2
(duplex)
Default device name for this device is MIDI external device 3
Creating device 5 in Record mode for connection 72:1 microKONTROL MIDI 2
(duplex)
Default device name for this device is MIDI hardware input device 3
Creating device 6 in Record mode for connection 72:2 microKONTROL MIDI 3
(read)
Default device name for this device is MIDI hardware input device 4
    Current timer set to "PCM playback 0-0-0"
AlsaDriver::initialiseMidi -  initialised MIDI subsystem

AlsaDriver::setRecordDevice - successfully subscribed device 5 as record port

  ALSA Client information:

    64,0 - (M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MIDI, M Audio Audiophile 24/96 MIDI)
(DUPLEX) [ctype 2, ptype 2, cap 127]
    72,0 - (microKONTROL, microKONTROL MIDI 1)			(DUPLEX) [ctype 2, ptype 2,
cap 127]
    72,1 - (microKONTROL, microKONTROL MIDI 2)			(DUPLEX) [ctype 2, ptype 2,
cap 127]
    72,2 - (microKONTROL, microKONTROL MIDI 3)		(READ ONLY) [ctype 2, ptype 2,
cap 37]

AlsaDriver::setRecordDevice - attempting to subscribe (5) already subscribed
--------------

With Qjackctl I have connected the Korg unit with the "seq" input offered by
Ardour.   I have also turned on all the of the MIDI related options I could
find in the Ardour options menu though the buttons for midi control seem to
be hard wired to be "on" (I cannot unclick them).

Qjackctl makes it hard to tell whether Jack is getting data or not but as
said, Rosegarden works fine with the interface so it should be working OK.

Anyone have any ideas what to do next?

Cheers

--
---> (culture) http://industrial.org : (label)  http://deterrent.net
---> (community) http://ampfea.org : (hire me) http://codegrunt.com
---> (send EEEI news to) infosuck at industrial.org
---> Whomever dies with the most URLs wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!