[ardour-users] Which filesystem to use?

James Rich james at chowhouse.com
Wed Oct 26 11:44:23 PDT 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Paul Winkler wrote:

>> As for the filesystem, I run ReiserFs and XFS.
>> ReiserFs claims to be the fastest. It is a young
>> filesystem also  I believe.
>
> Reiserfs was actually the first journalling filesystem
> available for linux.  Reiserfs 3 is rock-solid.
> You're probably thinking of reiser 4 which is not as
> widely deployed yet, and has a web page chock-full of provocative
> and mystifying ideas ;-)

While reiserfs was the first journaling fs to be actually included in the
standard kernel, it wasn't really the first journaling fs available.  IIRC
xfs was available first, but it was not included in the standard kernel
for some time.

Various benchmarks have shown that reiserfs is very fast when you have
many small files.  But on large files xfs has consistently held the top
spot in performance.  Usually, files sizes for pro audio work are large.

I've been using xfs for several years and continue to be amazed at both
the speed and reliability.  The *most* important thing a filesystem must
have is reliability.  Speed is a very nice bonus which xfs has on large
filesystems.

James Rich