[ardour-users] Which filesystem to use?

Leandro Marco leandromarco at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 20:24:26 PDT 2005

Hi. Once I saw a lecture of Ted Tso (the creator od ext2/ext3) and he
said that reiser has an disadvantage in real time aplications because
it periodically has to balance the B tree of the file system. When
this occurs, we have a kernel lock (so we loose real time
performance). So I guess ext3 is the best option. But, I guess that
all your partitions must be ext3, because other processes running will
write in the reiser partition leading to kernel locks.

About XFS, in the same lecture, he said that is a great filesystem,
but for reliable machines (SGI clusters, for example). It uses logical
journaling that just changes the 1 bit afected in the journal when
there is a crash, instead of replay a bigger piece of the journal. It
is great for performance but if you have a reliable machine. In
ordinary PCs what occurs when there is a lack of power, is that the
memory starts to send things that makes no sense and as the HD take
more time to be switched off, when you restart the filesystem, it will
replay just 1 bit of the journal that it thinks is the only one
affected, but there may be more and then you have a corrupted
filesystem in this case.

Sorry about the English errors. :-)

P.S.: I use reiserfs. Does anyone uses JFS?