[ardour-users] Questions

philicorda philicorda at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 26 11:24:09 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 18:41 +0100, Paul Symons wrote:
> > I'm not talking about desructive editing. I'm talking
> > about applying plugins to selections in the same way
> > you apply them to whole tracks. They are not
> > destructive when you apply them to whole tracks, why
> > should they be if you apply them to selections?
>
> It depends on what you mean. it sounds as you are suggesting that each
> region could potentially have a number of plugins associated with it; on
> playback, each region would first be processed by the plugins associated
> with just that region.

The way I've seen other DAWs handle this is much simpler.
A single plugin can be applied offline to a selection, and the only
option you have is to preview that selection with the plugin before
applying it.
A new region is created on disk, and the original file is unaffected.

This is enough for 90% of cases IMHO. I use offline processing like this
to get rid of pops on vocal parts, low pass clicks or clips, add more
top end to a mumbled single word, cut top end on a really siblant s etc.
Mainly fixing little stuff.

> to me, that raises a couple of questionable issues:
>
> 1. a track can have a huge (unbounded?) number of regions - allowing any
> region to have a plugin path would mean that a region changes from an item
> of discrete audio data, to an audio pathway - a stream of audio processing
> that must be computed, and while to a certain extent this is probably the
> case because of region gain curves, crossfades, etc., adding a plugin
> chain process would complicate things massively i reckon, and introduce
> some CPU overhead.

Samplitude works like this. I tried it and it was too much for my poor
brain. However, it lets you do conventional offline processing as well.