[ardour-users] It is not loud enough

Brett W. McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 07:18:12 PDT 2005

On 10/26/05, Don Fredricks <ardour at handsfull.net> wrote:
> This was recently posted (not by me) on homerecording.com. Maybe not quite "pro" quality, but not bad, either:
>
> http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=174242
>
> The first message in the thread contains a link to the music.
>
> You can certainly get "loud" recordings with Ardour/JAMin. But your tracks have to fit together well in order to keep the mix from becoming a muddy mess.

I'm having the opposite "problem" -- my stuff tends to be recorded
fairly hot and I have to bring the track levels down to prevent
overdriving the audio hardware. :-) Getting loud music in Ardour can
be done even before hitting the mastering stage.

I've been told using a VU meter for analyzing loudness is a good idea
and preferred over digital peak meters... there's a jack-based VU
meter out there, has anyone used this for analyzing loudness?

-- Brett
--
Programmer by Day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.chapelperilous.net