[ardour-users] It is not loud enough

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Wed Oct 26 08:08:26 PDT 2005

On 26 October 2005 at 10:18, "Brett W. McCoy" <idragosani at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm having the opposite "problem" -- my stuff tends to be recorded
> fairly hot and I have to bring the track levels down to prevent
> overdriving the audio hardware. :-) Getting loud music in Ardour can
> be done even before hitting the mastering stage.

I'm trying to increase the signal as much as possible during the
recording phase.  The maximum peak indicators in the mixer window
are really great for this.  But, what decibel level corresponds
to clipping?  I notice that the mixer peak meters go quite a
bit above 0dB.  Also, waveforms are shown in the editor window.
What scale is the magnitude of those waveforms?  Would 0dB be
the top/bottom of the editor stripe? Is it linearly scaled or
logarithmicly scaled?  Knowing this will help me to achieve a
maximum input level before clipping.

If it matters, I'm recording drums and have a soft limiter on
each channel which I've set to just start activating at what I
think the maximum recording level before clipping would be.

Thanks....

--
Kevin