[ardour-users] bugs / feature requests

Michael T D Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Wed Oct 26 02:06:12 PDT 2005

moron wrote:
> First, the following is in friendly discussion mode and is by no means meant
> as a demand or chastisement (I am very appreciative of being able to record
> multitrack on my Gentoo box).  That in mind. . .

Understood...

> I don't think there is a mixer sold (excluding oddballs like line mixers or
> headphone mixers) which does not have built in EQ per channel.   Even other
> DAWs tend to have basic EQ per channel and then you can use a plugin if you
> need something fancier.

That might well be true, but the fact remains that (at least in my
experience) built-in EQ ciruits on mixers are nothing better than useless.

Anyone who wants to EQ a mix well usually simply ensures that these
circuits are bypassed completely, and uses some decent parametric EQ for
real control.

"OK", I hear you say, "but Ardour could do it better. We're not
constrained by the cost of building high quality EQ circuits, or
reducing electromagnetic noise, like in hardware."

The next problem which I see is that it would be a near-impossible task
to embed processing plugins in Ardour and include the right options for
even a large minority of Ardour users.

I, for one, am more than happy to apply plugins manually - not least
because I don't want to put any unnecessary processing or memory load on
my machine.

Regards
Michael