[ardour-users] new user question (simple)

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sat Oct 22 08:21:08 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 13:28, Scott Hutson wrote:
> Hello all, I am a new user of ardour and I have just one or two
> questions to get me started, (well, I will have more than that, but I
> will start with this one).  I have used cubase SX on winXP for years
> and now I am moving to ardour on linux.  Currently I am using Demudi
> for my OS, and I like it but I want to know what other prople are
> using?  Is Demudi a pretty common system for people running a linux
> DAW?  I am also hearing alot about planet ccrma, but I am not sure
> which way to go.  I know that I dont need any specialized OS, and that
> I can use what I want as long as I set it up properly, but I like the
> idea of a custom OS so that I dont have to hassle with alot of those
> things.
>
> So my question is what is the recommended OS for ardour?  Or at least,
> what is the most common and/or stable to use?  Also, can someone give
> me a good link, or set of links to "how to tweak/set-up linux for
> ardour/DAW settup"?  I know in windows we had a lot of tweaks for
> performance we could do, where is that type info for linux?  Like, hd
> settups, IRQ's, hd filesystem choice (ext2 or 3?), all that kind of
> stuff.

    My suggestion is FC3/Planet CCRMA.  It's really easy.  There are a
number of good suggestions on Planet CCRMA for tweaking hard drives and
IRQs.  I have some stuff on my site (woefully out of date since I
switched to the Planet) and some links to other information
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA_JACK_ARDOUR.html

--
Jan "Evil Twin" Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this
we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744