[ardour-users] new user question (simple)

Scott Hutson viipoundproductions at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 22 11:28:13 PDT 2005

Hello all, I am a new user of ardour and I have just one or two questions to get me started, (well, I will have more than that, but I will start with this one).  I have used cubase SX on winXP for years and now I am moving to ardour on linux.  Currently I am using Demudi for my OS, and I like it but I want to know what other prople are using?  Is Demudi a pretty common system for people running a linux DAW?  I am also hearing alot about planet ccrma, but I am not sure which way to go.  I know that I dont need any specialized OS, and that I can use what I want as long as I set it up properly, but I like the idea of a custom OS so that I dont have to hassle with alot of those things.

So my question is what is the recommended OS for ardour?  Or at least, what is the most common and/or stable to use?  Also, can someone give me a good link, or set of links to "how to tweak/set-up linux for ardour/DAW settup"?  I know in windows we had a lot of tweaks for performance we could do, where is that type info for linux?  Like, hd settups, IRQ's, hd filesystem choice (ext2 or 3?), all that kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance,
7lb