[ardour-users] how to install latest ardour

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 21 03:09:08 PDT 2005

On Thursday 20 October 2005 16:27, Pasi Karppinen wrote:
> Great to hear you got it installed nicely Dave! It's always nice to hear
> how people are modifying/shaping their Linux audio systems.
>
> I've got an ambitious personal project - call me a lunatic, but I'm
> going to install Linux From Scratch ( http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ )
> and try to make it my #1 music making platform. I'm familiar with
> various Linux audio distributions and now I pretty much know what
> software I want to use in my home studio.

I am a happy lfs user. The main thing is that you have to take a couple of
days to get and install all the software to get your system running.
I've installed it twice the manual way, and the last time I used
automated-linux-from-scratch for the base system. Which makes it more like a
primitive Gentoo.

I would recommend using some kind of package manager like paco:
http://paco.sourceforge.net/ , at least for the software beyond the basic lfs
system. Otherwise it is hard to keep track of what is on your system. Even on
a mimimal music-production system.

Gerard