[ardour-users] how to install latest ardour

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 21 03:24:48 PDT 2005

On Thursday 20 October 2005 19:27, AA wrote:
> Hello, and thanks for the reply.
> This has gotten me up and going, for the most part,
>
> but I still have one or two little questions:
> > if you are installing from source, make sure that
> > you either install
> > in /usr/lib (the default is usually /usr/local/lib)
> > or make
> > sure /usr/local/lib is included in your
> > /etc/ld.so.conf. This sets the path
> > where the linker looks for libraries. After install
> > you may have to do run
> > ldconfig to make your system aware of the presence
> > of the new library.
>
> I just used scons like the instructions on the ardour
> website, and I believe that it does install to
> /usr/local/lib.  How would I install it into /usr/lib
> instead?

do scons -h for a list of options you can set.
You can set the install prefix by "scons PREFIX=/usr"

For ardour it is ok if it is installed in usr/local/bin
as long as /usr/local/bin is in your PATH. Since it is not a library used by
other programs, it is installed in the bin directory
Type "echo $PATH" in a console to see.
 Of course you can always start the program by giving the complete path:
"/usr/local/bin/ardour" .

> Would it be better to just take the defaults
> and then edit the ld.so.conf after?  And if so how
> would I do that - when I try 'ldconfig', I get:
>
> bash: ldconfig: command not found

ldconfig needs to be run as root. You may have to type /sbin/ldconfig

> Will it work if I just manually edit the
> /etc/ld.so.conf and add a line for /usr/local/lib?

Well you need to do that anyway if you have stuff installed in /usr/local/lib.

Running ldconfig just updates the list that the system is currently using.
Usually install programs of libraries run this for you, but sometimes they
don't and you have to run it manually.

> Thanks again, I am just one step away from getting
> this working
> SMH

Hope this helps.
Gerard

ps please reply to the list and not just to me personally, so that other users
can benefit as well.