[ardour-users] jack_fst and gcc4

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Thu Oct 13 18:23:40 PDT 2005

Hector Centeno-Garcia wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-14-10 at 09:45 +1000, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
>
>>Hector Centeno-Garcia wrote:

>>>Thanks for the information. I installed Om but I was wondering how do
>>>you insert VST plugs using DSSI? I don't get any DSSI-VST plug listed in
>>>the Load Plugin window. I have DSSI and DSSI-VST installed.
>>>

>>what is the path to your vst folder? i think dssi-vst defaults to
>>searching in /home/<username>/vst. if that's not where you've got yr
>>vst's, then you can just create a symbolic link to them ...
>>
>>also - as far as i remember, dssi-vst builds - but fails to install -
>>the "vsthost" script ... this is a useful way of starting dssi-vst
>>plugins without the overly long default command-line option - you should
>>merely copy the vsthost script from the dssi-vst folder to /usr/bin ...
>>you can then start vst plugins with:
>>
>>vsthost "B4"
>>
>>or something similar.
>>
>>but, basically, for any vst plugins to show up in om, they must be
>>listed in dssi-vst's scanned-plugins directory - which is at:
>>
>>/home/<username>/.dssi-vst/
>>
>>shayne
>

> Yes, I have the .dssi-vst folder and it has files with the name of all
> the vsts I have. Also I've used the vsthost script and it works fine
> except for getting the VST's guis behaving in a sluggish way and also
> causing jack to close when closing the VST. I think the problem with Om
> not finding the VSTs is related to the problem I have getting dssi-vst
> to find them. I get something like this at trying to load a VST using
> the jack dsi host method:
>
>  hector at ubuntu:~/vst$ jack-dssi-host dssi-vst.so:Crystal.dll
> RemoteVSTClient:
> executing /usr/local/lib/dssi/dssi-vst/dssi-vst-scanner /tmp/rplugin_qry_bWglPr
> DSSI VST plugin scanner v0.3
> Copyright (c) 2004 Chris Cannam - Fervent Software
> Plugin scanner version mismatch
> dssi-vst-scanner: found in /home/hector/vst/anenome.dll
> fixme:font:load_VDMX Failed to retrieve vTable
> dssi-vst-scanner: found in /home/hector/vst/Crystal.dll
>
> jack-dssi-host: Error: Plugin label "Crystal.dll" not found in library
> "dssi-vst.so"
>
> ... and it is the same with other VSTs.

hmmm ... a few things you might try to get it working:

1. delete the .dssi-vst folder and let them be scanned-in again.

2. if you've installed a different version of wine since installing
dssi-vst, then you could try recompiling it and see if that helps.

3. check that you don't have more than one installation of dssi or
dssi-vst (ie check both /usr and /usr/local).

i think i remember getting the same error a while back ... you should
also make sure you're using the latest versions of dssi, dssi-vst, om etc.

hope this helps

shayne