[ardour-users] [OT] JAMin guidance needed

Zachris Trolin zach-tro at dsv.su.se
Mon Nov 21 03:12:43 PST 2005

I would say it is just about the right amount of complexety as it is
(complex meaning compounded). Ardour, and jamin (and jack) all do only
one "thing" but do it well. Put these simple things toghether to form a
complex and working solution to the problem of mastering.

Jamin is an jack application which utilize a huge number of ladspa
plugins designed for the task of mastering a stream of audio (two track
audio, not mono or surround though). It doesn't deal with transportation
or multitrack recording, editing etc. Typically you use it after you
finnished working and consider the song/-s done.

The way I do it is that I send whatever I want to master (any number of
tracks) from ardour into jamin, and then take the output if jamin back
to ardour and record my mastered stereo track. After that I might want
to add cd location markers in ardour and dither the whole thing down to
16-bit suitable for CD and at the same time export a TOC file.  After
that open the toc in gcdmaster and add some CD-TEXT information and burn
a CD.

The simpler (and much worse) option would be to not really master the
audio, just add some plugin or two etc. Just as you would have to do
using pro-tools :)