[ardour-users] Is 64 bit dual core supported and stable yet?

J.L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Fri Nov 18 01:02:14 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 18:07 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 23:39 -0800, Solv (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
> > Hi, I noticed people are using 64 bit with ardour, just wondering
> > about a few things.  I am currently waiting with much excitement on a
> > new system being built for me at this moment in time.  It is a an AMD
> > 64 Dual Core 3800+ with Asus A8N Nforce motherboard.  I have at the
> > moment on my old system being using fedora core 4 and a planetccrma
> > install with ardour without a problem.  I have been told that fedora
> > itself is a pain in the butt for 64 bit at the moment?  Is that true?,
>
> Probably not. But I have not tried it myself.
I have some experience (~2 months) with FC4 64-bit and in it is a stable
distribution with a good performance. I've used the 32-bit version
first(then the processor runs in emulation mode) and the difference with
the 64-bit version is considerable.Especially X benefits of the 64-bit
but also other programs (e.g. compiling). However, although many
packages are already adapted for 64-bit, many more are not. Also many
plugins for browsers don't work, e.g. Macromedia flash. If ardour isn't
adapted for 64-bit, the possibility exists you cannot compile it as e.g.
pointers, but also memory addressing etc. must be changed. I expect the
compiler(s) to be fitted with switches for compilation for different
architectures but I am not familiar wth it.
> >  and I was wondering if planetccrma had a specific repo for 64 bit
> > support...I couldn't see any specific instructions.
>
> Sorry for the delay in answering... Planet CCRMA has not yet been
> rebuilt on the 64 bit versions of FC. It will be, eventually, but right
> now it is not a priority for me. I don't think there would be much of a
> performance advantage (IMHO) unless you have more than 4G of ram.

See my remark above.
> > Also wondering if the '.smp' kernel which supports multiple processors
> > would make use of a dual core processor?
>
> Yes. I'm currently using such systems (FC4 32 bit on Athlon X2
> hardware). Dual cores are just dual cpus, smp kernels will use both of
> them.
>
> -- Fernando
>
> > Is ardour stable in 64 bit yet? Does ardour benefit from a dual core
> > processor as well?  I know I should've probably asked these questions
> > before I got the system....but I wasn't thinking!
> >
> > Anyone who has any pointers or links to more information would be much
> > appreciated.

Joep