[ardour-users] Is 64 bit dual core supported and stable yet?

Thu Nov 17 18:07:33 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 23:39 -0800, Solv (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:
> Hi, I noticed people are using 64 bit with ardour, just wondering
> about a few things.  I am currently waiting with much excitement on a
> new system being built for me at this moment in time.  It is a an AMD
> 64 Dual Core 3800+ with Asus A8N Nforce motherboard.  I have at the
> moment on my old system being using fedora core 4 and a planetccrma
> install with ardour without a problem.  I have been told that fedora
> itself is a pain in the butt for 64 bit at the moment?  Is that true?,

Probably not. But I have not tried it myself.

>  and I was wondering if planetccrma had a specific repo for 64 bit
> support...I couldn't see any specific instructions.

Sorry for the delay in answering... Planet CCRMA has not yet been
rebuilt on the 64 bit versions of FC. It will be, eventually, but right
now it is not a priority for me. I don't think there would be much of a
performance advantage (IMHO) unless you have more than 4G of ram.

> Also wondering if the '.smp' kernel which supports multiple processors
> would make use of a dual core processor?

Yes. I'm currently using such systems (FC4 32 bit on Athlon X2
hardware). Dual cores are just dual cpus, smp kernels will use both of
them.

-- Fernando