[ardour-users] Delta 1010 question

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Nov 10 12:28:01 PST 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 12:09:01PM -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> I've lurked here and on the Linux Audio Users lists, as well as
> searching the web and list archives.  The consensus of that is
> that no one has been able to demonstrate that it can be done.  I
> have only one 1010 (not LT), so I can't even try this.  A friend
> of mine has a 1010LT, and I might try sometime to get those
> cards to sync up.  Some people assert that because there are two
> crystals of different frequencies in two different sound-cards,
> that it's impossible to get the two cards to be synchronized.

Eh? AFAIK "people" only say that about cards which lack
either word-clock or a spare S/PDIF I/O that you can (ab)use
for the purpose.

It *is* generally impossible to synchronize two cheap consumer-grade
soundcards because they usually lack those features.

> I'm still waiting to see a joy filled posting from anyone that
> managed to get this working.

I don't have two cards with word-clock, but I did once
(a long time ago) get my delta 66 in sync with my soundblabber,
by feeding the S/PDIF output of the latter into the S/PDIF input
of the former and selecting Hardware Settings -> Master Clock -> "S/PDIF in"
in envy24control.  But then I never figured out how to properly
set up asoundrc to treat the two cards as one card, and I haven't
needed more than 4 channels lately, so I haven't tried again.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com