[ardour-users] Delta 1010 question

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Thu Nov 10 12:09:01 PST 2005

On 10 November 2005 at 20:28, Iwan Heskamp <iwan at hetwasietsmet.nl> wrote:

> As the Delta 1010LT has a very attractive price, I looked into
> its capabilities.  I noticed that there's a 'wordclock out' and
> a 'wordclock in'. Does that mean that in order to record more
> than eight tracks with two of those cards one only needs to
> connect the 'out' of one card to 'in' on the other card?

I've lurked here and on the Linux Audio Users lists, as well as
searching the web and list archives.  The consensus of that is
that no one has been able to demonstrate that it can be done.  I
have only one 1010 (not LT), so I can't even try this.  A friend
of mine has a 1010LT, and I might try sometime to get those
cards to sync up.  Some people assert that because there are two
crystals of different frequencies in two different sound-cards,
that it's impossible to get the two cards to be synchronized.
As an electrical engineer (my day job) I can say that getting
various electronic gadgets, each with their own crystal, to
synchronize their clocks is done all the time through the use
of delay locked loops (DLLs) and phase locked loops (PLLs).
It seems to me that the wordclock in/out is intended for this
purpose.  That said, the ALSA driver for any card would need to
support the appropriate hardware features of the card in order
for this to work.

I'm still waiting to see a joy filled posting from anyone that
managed to get this working.

Cheers....

--
Kevin