[ardour-users] OS Question

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 04:21:14 PST 2005

On 11/2/05, 7lb9oz Productions <viipoundproductions at yahoo.com> wrote:
> and vmware for one program I
> have to run in windows for school.
>
> Are there any considerations with what should and should not be run on a
> "studio only OS"?  What about considerations with the low latency stuff, and
> the kernel patches?  I have heard that they shouldnt be used on a typical
> desktop, so would I just want to keep the original kernel and boot from that
> when I wasnt using the studio?
>
> Please advise, I am still a little fresh from the windows world, and I know
> that in windows, for serious work you pretty much need an OS that is
> dedicated to nothing but the DAW.
>
> Thanks in advcance

Other than the vmware this (which I'm avout ready to try out myself)
there is no reason for all this rebooting. One solid Linux install
will do what you need. I'm mostly Gentoo based now, but any good
distro should address this stuff:

1) Use whatever distro you want. The issues here are how you feel
about admin for that distro and access to all the Linux programs you
want, not the kernel.

2) Use the existing kernel or build one with patches of your own
choice. My ia-32 machines never required anythign other than the
standard Gentoo kernel to run at 3mS latency. My AMD64 needed me to
build a kernel.

3) Use Open Office for an OSS solution to documents. It works pretty
well, but it's a memory hog and pretty slow.

4) Use Crossover Office (specialized Wine) running M$ Office for any
specific issues that OO doesn't solve. The demo is free.

5) Try standard Wine or Crossover for your one Windows program. You
might get lucky and find it works. (What program is it? Look at the
Wine AppDb to determine if others already have it working. I run a
number of Windows programs successfully under Wine.

6) Try Cedega Wine for any games you might want to play.

   Most all of y Windows needs have been addressed in this manner.
Unfortunately for me Quicken doesn't run quite well enough under CXO
4.x for me to give up Windows. I have not tried CXO 5.0 yet.

Hope this helps,
Mark