[ardour-users] OS Question

Rossco rosscoad at slingshot.co.nz
Thu Nov 3 00:12:55 PST 2005

7lb9oz Productions wrote:

> Hello all, I have a question about the operating systems that I am
> currently running on my machine.  Currently I have a triple boot with
> windows xp for games, demudi linux for studio work, and ubuntu linux
> for normal daya to day, school and office stuff.  I just downloaded
> fedora core 3 from planet ccrma, and plan to try it out some time this
> weekednd.  My question is, can I, (using fedora core, or anything
> really), eliminate this percieved need for the "office OS"?  That is
> to say, with something like fedora core, is there any reason to use a
> seperate install for stuff like office applications, and other normal
> day to day type programs?  The only thing I really use besides the
> studio/audio stuff is office (for school), web browser (mainly for
> OS/studio updates and mailing lists) and I do use stuff like vnc for
> remote desktop on my samba server, and vmware for one program I have
> to run in windows for school.
>
> Are there any considerations with what should and should not be run on
> a "studio only OS"?  What about considerations with the low latency
> stuff, and the kernel patches?  I have heard that they shouldnt be
> used on a typical desktop, so would I just want to keep the original
> kernel and boot from that when I wasnt using the studio?
>
> Please advise, I am still a little fresh from the windows world, and I
> know that in windows, for serious work you pretty much need an OS that
> is dedicated to nothing but the DAW.
>
> Thanks in advcance

Hi,

I successfully use my system - AMD64/1gb ram/audiophile2496 - for studio
work (ardour/amsynth/zynaddsubfx/hydrogen), office type work (oo.org),
web browser/email client/messaging client,  and Gimp. I currently run
Gentoo and Demudi 1.21 both of which work fine for all my needs although
Gentoo is considerably faster and more stable for me so is flavour of
the month here currently. Fedora should work fine for you. As long as
your hardware is up to it you should not need a studio only or office
only install.

Ross.