[ardour-users] No midi control !

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Tue Mar 29 03:46:33 PST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:59:28 +0200
Matt at yahoo <matt_0pr at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> I have one big question and 2 little more.. If anyone could answer the
> first one, and perhaps the two others ?
>
> 1 - How can I handle this ardour.rc file to make my midi controller
> (behringer bcf2000) work ? when i run ardour i've got a
>
> midi port "seq" not available

Before Ardour can use the device, it has to have a connection made.
Since I use qjackctl to control the jack process, I just click on the
Connect button, then on the MIDI tab, and I'll see items there for ardour
amd the BCF2000.  Click on ardour on the left and BCF2000 on the right, then
click connect.  Then make the other connection, fron the BCF2000 on the left
to ardour on the right.  Note that if you don't see the BCF2000 listed, all
you should have to do is power-cycle the BCF.  It should then show up.

Note that at this point in time, the only thing that works is mapping
faders to faders.  In the very near future, you should also be able to map
the solo and mute buttons and panners to controllers as well.  There's a
few folks (like me) waiting patiently for Paul to get his laptop fixed so
he can test that part of the code!

One more note on the BCF2000 - Preset #2 maps Play, Stop, Locate 0 (home) and
Fwd to the 4 keys at the lower right.  This is pretty much optimal for me
in terms of what I need for transport control.

> 4 - Is mandrake a good distro to make linux-audio ? is there anything
> better, easier, more efficient ?

I'm a huge fan of Planet CCRMA over at Stanford.  They have a distro built
on top Redhat/Fedora that makes it very easy to set up a system for low
latency.

I'm running it on top of RedHat 9; I consider the 2.6 kernels too
bleeding-edge for audio work at this point, but others report excellent
results.

I'm sure people more familiar with Mandrake will chime in here.
       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com