[ardour-users] Help - planning

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:27:42 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:15:02 -0500, Jesse Chappell <jesse at essej.net> wrote:
> Josh,
>
>  > > how does this work with multiple Delta 1010's?  Or a Delta 1010 and a 1010LT
>  > > or something?  I was under the impression that, pending sync with wordclock,
>  > > it would "just work"...  not so with different-chipset cards?  Not so with
>  > > any cards?
>  >
>  > With multiple cards you have to write a virtual card device in your
>  > .asoundrc file and then set that up as the card being used by your
>  > apps. People in the know say it works. ;-)
>
> This in combination with word-clock is your only hope.  I suggest
> a message or two to alsa-devel and linux-audio-dev asking if anyone
> has successfully done this with a delta and an RME card... (or
> even just 2 deltas, which I'm pretty sure they have).
>
>  > .asoundrc.
>  >
>  > http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=TwoCardsAsOne
>
> Reference that post in your question to alsa-devel, etc....
>
> jlc

I would also point out that since the RME cards are locked into a
periods/buffer =2 it would seem important to me to be sure that the
1010 also works at that rate. I am fairly sure  that you cannot run
the 1010 and the HDSP using different Jack parameters.

However, when you get through all of this is seems to me that you'd be
as well off, if not better off, to consider an external A/D and just
use the HDSP's ADAT in's as well. I'm sure giving up the 1010 after
such great results would be a tough desicion though

- Mark