[ardour-users] Help - planning

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Mon Mar 21 17:32:48 PST 2005

Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> writes:

> I would also point out that since the RME cards are locked into a
> periods/buffer =2 it would seem important to me to be sure that the
> 1010 also works at that rate. I am fairly sure  that you cannot run
> the 1010 and the HDSP using different Jack parameters.

The Delta 1010 handles -n2 just fine.

> However, when you get through all of this is seems to me that you'd be
> as well off, if not better off, to consider an external A/D and just
> use the HDSP's ADAT in's as well. I'm sure giving up the 1010 after
> such great results would be a tough desicion though

I must be missing something here.  Why not track everything using the
Ramsa's converters and feed it all to ardour through an RME card?

That gives 26 channels in and 26 out.  I bet the Ramsa converters are
pretty good.  If you need better, go with Mark's suggested external
A/D converters.  There are many available in a wide range of price and
performance.

If you need more channels, it *may* be possible to gang two or three
Hammerfalls together with ADAT sync.  (It should work but I doubt many
have actually tried it.)
--
  joq