[ardour-users] importing & automation, digital mixer

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 08:06:27 PST 2005

Josh,
   I haven't had any major problems importing track audio from Pro
Tools. It's all wave based and comes over pretty easily. The biggest
issue has been that a stereo Pro Tools track is actually two mono wave
files. I've requested that Ardour support multi-mono import in the
past but frankly havent followed whether it does or doesn't today. It
probably isn't a big deal to use some command line program to to
combine these two files into stereo to get them into Ardour properly.

   That said there is no support at all for importing track automation
data or bus structure so what I've  had to do is to recreate all of
that by hand. Setting up tracks and buses and putting audio on them is
not hard but recreating automation data is no fun at all and requires
that you have a running copy of Pro Tools sitting side by side with
Ardour. Worked for me the 2 or 3 times I tried it, but won't work for
most folks.

   I think we'll get no support for doing this from the developers.

- Mark