[ardour-users] importing & automation, digital mixer

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Mon Mar 21 08:12:29 PST 2005

Mark Knecht wrote on Mon, 21-Mar-2005:

 >    I haven't had any major problems importing track audio from Pro
 > Tools. It's all wave based and comes over pretty easily. The biggest
 > issue has been that a stereo Pro Tools track is actually two mono wave
 > files. I've requested that Ardour support multi-mono import in the
 > past but frankly havent followed whether it does or doesn't today. It
 > probably isn't a big deal to use some command line program to to
 > combine these two files into stereo to get them into Ardour properly.

The silly thing is that ardour also uses separate mono wav files
for channels in a stereo region!  Really it is just a matter of
dealing with the UI to allow you to specify the pair of files
to import as a stereo region, or alternatively implementing a
join function to do it post-import.  We can probably use the filename
conventions as a heuristic as well, to simplify the UI for it.

jlc