[ardour-users] best way to build up a song

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 19:36:52 PST 2005

Hi Anders,
   Unfortunately there is pretty much no 'inter-app' communication.
Tempo maps have to be built in both Muse/RG and Ardour. I don't use
Hydrogen. If it supports tempo changes then the map will need to be
built there also. the basic issue is that information about upcoming
tempo changes would need to be sent before it's needed so that each
app could be ready on time. these apps just don't do that.

   As for moving regions around it's pretty much a drag/select and
then drag the regions to where you want them. I often take portions
I'm interested in, trim them to be so many bars long and then place
copies of them way out to the right or even on separate tracks to
prevent them being deleted by accident. Once you've got some audio
it's pretty easy to treat it like Lego blocks and put it together in
ways that are fun and rewarding.

   It's a disappointment that the Linux MIDI apps aren't stronger in
audio and that Ardour doesn't support MIDI. There's a great need to
doing it all but it's still a bit of a ways out there.

   Hope this helps.

Good luck,
Mark