[ardour-users] playback1-26 - where'd they go?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 12:26:51 PST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:45:45 -0500, Jesse Chappell <jesse at essej.net> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote on Thu, 10-Mar-2005:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >    I'm using the newest Ardour beta from the Planet. I want to record
>  > the audio generated by LinuxSampler and routed onto
>  > alsa_pcm:playback_1-8. The track connections dialog is only showing me
>  > capture_1-26, not playback_1-26.
>  >
>  >    Am I not supposed to be able record the contents of my playback
>  > bus? Couldn't I do this before? Maybe I'm just tired.
>
> You want to route the pcm playback into an input in ardour, right?
> To do this, you need to enable the Monitor option in jackd, and
> then a bunch more ports will show up.

OK, that's helpful. They show up as monitor_1 instead of playback_1?
Should work fine though. Thanks much.

>  >    With LinuxSampler it would be great to be able to record the
>  > playback bus as it's where we sum a lot of stuff together. If I cannot
>  > do this then (in this case) I need to create 20 stereo buses, hook up
>  > each output of LS individually into Ardour and then group them again
>  > to get down to a reasonable number of audio tracks. A lot of work...
>
> The other alternative (other than the monitor trick i mentioned
> above (be careful about feedback)) is to get the LS guys to implement
> a master bus internally and expose it as another pair of jack ports.

Actually I have this capability in LS already but my scripts are not
written that way. I'm currently loading 20 gig files (so 20 stereo
pairs) but exporting them as 4 stereo groups. (Strings, Wind, Brass,
Percussion) I just wanted to grab those 4 groups for recording. Looks
like this monitor trick should work fine. Thanks.

Cheers,
Mark