[ardour-users] running ardour and linux w/out internet

Josh Karnes jkarnes1 at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 16 12:06:06 PDT 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>Well with something like Ardour, that's not really 100% documented (note I
>>am not complaining), there is a de-facto reliance on the user/developer
>>community for some degree of even instructive support...  how do I do xxx
>>and it's not in any manual so you have to ask the user base.  Then the reply
>>is, "oh, well you need to update to version xyz and then ...", where the
>>"update" is non-trivial because it is linked to incidental updates of dozens
>>of libraries etc.
>

> I see your point, yes, that is a problem of course.
> No easy way out, I guess......

Well, this is really why I am just putting the brakes on and awaiting 1.0.
I think there will at least be SOME psychology to 1.0 that it's "DONE" and
therefore should be supportable without forcing an update.

FWIW going back to $oftware has its pros and cons.  I am glad to be back
using blockfish and Freeverb 2 on Windows, they sound so good and just do
what I need.  But getting the sound cards working has been nightmarish, not
that attempts to use MOTU hardware on Linux would be any better.

At the moment though when using a "compressor" it is a noisy thing that
drives a nail gun... "track" has lately referred to U-shaped sheet metal
parts bolted to the floor on which to mount steel studs, "mike" is the name
of the guy doing the HVAC work, "top end", "bottom end" and "air" no longer
refer to EQ bands, and "level" and "meter" have adopted totally different
meanings.  Can't wait to get back to music and be done with construction.