[ardour-users] running ardour and linux w/out internet

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Thu Jun 9 17:03:07 PDT 2005

Josh Karnes <jkarnes1 at austin.rr.com> writes:

> Big pro is that it's more stable and runs with lower static resource
> load if you just don't turn on any modules you would need for
> networking...

According to murphy's law, you're correct, but then something is wrong
with the system and we need to fix it. It's supposed to multitask.

The resources used for this is so minimal that you can't seriously
justify the reasoning, in my opinion.

> remove the network cards of all kinds, don't load any drivers or
> config, all that.

This is why we have priorities.

> Frees up IRQs for sound cards and that kind of thing.

So, what do you want to do with the freed irq's?. It doesn't help you
one bit. You just need a high priority irq.

> System simplicity is a very good thing and IMHO should be key in an
> audio system.

Simplicity is a key in any system, but the system would be no use if
it weren't capable of doing multiple things and have some things run
with higher priorities . You're basing your reasoning that something
is wrong with the system.

> There is really no reason to network an audio computer.

So you claim.

> You'd never think about putting a tape machine on the internet.

Indeed, I would. If this makes your system grind to a halt making you
unable to do the tasks you need, then there is a bug that needs to be
fixed.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef at e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m