[ardour-users] Freeze Function?

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 6 01:55:34 PDT 2005

On Sunday 05 June 2005 17:05, David Mulcahy wrote:

> My understanding of the freeze function is a means to free up cpu usage.
> In mantis you mentioned the ability to add effects to a track without the
> cpu requirements affecting the realting capabilities of the rest of the
> tracks. Well that is where the freeze function comes in (I think).  You can
> freeze the track/s with high cpu usage and that will I assume store the
> track / play the track in some way that will reduce the cpu overhead that
> the effects have placed on it.

yes, freeze will replace the content of the track with a single region
processed with all the plugins and automation that is on that track.
Essentially a kind of "bounce" function.

> What is isnt, is a way to make life easier when editing a region/track/file
> in an external sound file editor.

Well, it does generate a single (in the case of a mono track anyway) audio
file. So you can edit that in a sound file editor. Whereas a unfrozen
playlist might have many different regions so there is no way to edit that in
one go.