[ardour-users] Freeze Function?

David Mulcahy eseol at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Jun 5 10:05:51 PDT 2005

On Sunday 05 June 2005 16:09, Chris Bozic wrote:
> All,
>
> A while ago I posted a feature request in mantis:
>
> http://ardour.org/mantis/view.php?id=1002
>
> A reply was made mentioning a "freeze function" in Ardour that helps
> relieve processor burden.  I am not familiar with this function and I
> can't seem to find any documentation about it.  Is there someone who
> can point me in the right direction to find out more about this?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Bozic
My understanding of the freeze function is a means to free up cpu usage.  In
mantis you mentioned the ability to add effects to a track without the cpu
requirements affecting the realting capabilities of the rest of the tracks.
Well that is where the freeze function comes in (I think).  You can freeze
the track/s with high cpu usage and that will I assume store the track / play
the track in some way that will reduce the cpu overhead that the effects have
placed on it.

What is isnt, is a way to make life easier when editing a region/track/file in
an external sound file editor.

HTH
Dave

If that is completely wrong It will probably provoke enough interest for
someone to correct me.