[ardour-users] Re: Freeze Function/external WAV editor

Chris Bozic cbozic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 09:50:02 PDT 2005

On 6/6/05, vanDongen/Gilcher <gml at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Sunday 05 June 2005 17:05, David Mulcahy wrote:
>
> > My understanding of the freeze function is a means to free up cpu usage.
> > In mantis you mentioned the ability to add effects to a track without the
> > cpu requirements affecting the realting capabilities of the rest of the
> > tracks. Well that is where the freeze function comes in (I think).  You can
> > freeze the track/s with high cpu usage and that will I assume store the
> > track / play the track in some way that will reduce the cpu overhead that
> > the effects have placed on it.
>
> yes, freeze will replace the content of the track with a single region
> processed with all the plugins and automation that is on that track.
> Essentially a kind of "bounce" function.

This sounds like it would be a great solution to many frustrations I
have been having.  This is truly a great feature!  However, I don't
think it solves all of my problems.

> > What is isnt, is a way to make life easier when editing a region/track/file
> > in an external sound file editor.
> >

> Well, it does generate a single (in the case of a mono track anyway) audio
> file. So you can edit that in a sound file editor. Whereas a unfrozen
> playlist might have many different regions so there is no way to edit that in
> one go.

While freeze seems to be a lifesaver in many situations, It would
still be nice to have the ability to pop open the selected object in a
wav editor though.  There are still many things that I can accomplish
much faster and with greater control in a smaller single-file editor.
I am not asking for Ardour to have to be too smart about it.  If a
track is made up of many separately recorded ranges or files, that's
my problem.  I'd just like to be able to right click on an object and
send it off to a tool of my choice.  If I were to overwrite my
externally edited changes with ardour undo, that's my problem.  If I
externally delete a portion of my wav and the timing is off when I
play it back in the session, that's my fault.  I'm just looking for
the most basic functionality involving spawning external editors.
This will give me so much more control of the wav and that is VERY
important to me for doing non-traditional effects.

Chris Bozic