[ardour-users] Several troubles...

Oleg Ivanenko oai-ash at yandex.ru
Thu Jul 28 06:21:40 PDT 2005

>Hi Oleg,
>
>"Oleg Ivanenko" <oai-ash at yandex.ru>:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Trouble 1.
>> I have track1 which sended (before fader) to bus1. When I solo
>> track2, bus1 still sounding. I must manual mute track1 for silence...
>> Is this right?
>
>Yes. No. Yes. Err.

What do you mean?

>Help please. Paul, Sampo, Jesse, Ron?
>> Trouble 2.
>> If I crop region or change its length some other way, its automations
>> waveforms is shifted to the right. Edit such automations is very
>> unhandy...
>
>The current model is: Automation data is a parameter to the *gain* stage
>of an Ardour/JACK graph (See the "Redirect" section on
>http://ardour.org/manual/intro:concepts for details), *not* to specific
>regions. It does not wander along with regions that move, disappear, get
>copied etc. This is, by its own terms, what you could call "correct
>behaviour". Hey, you can have an automated fader concerto without audio
>regions at all :)

I understand what you mean. But I talking not about automation -- about waveform! Without questions, automation is property of whole track or bus, it must no changes if regions changed. I think that automation waveform must reflect "true" waveform of track as summation of all regions. Or why need it in general on automation ribbon???

>But truly: Most users would expect and need automation data to be locked
>to the regions it was initially setup for. It's a different model with
>some very different implications though.
>
>The assumption that automation data is almost always related to audio
>regions wouldn't hurt, I guess. Automation data should be contained in
>regions like audio is and profit from all the benefits the "region
>concept" has to offer: Non-destructive edits, moves, copies lalala.

Completely right. But repeat once more -- wrong(shifted) waveform on automation ribbon is my trouble, not automation. Automation point positioning relative to the shifted waveform -- unhandy task.

What about next two troubles?

--
Truly yours, Oleg Ivanenko aka Ash
[Все это было бы смешно, когда бы не было так грустно]