[ardour-users] Several troubles...

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Thu Jul 28 05:19:22 PDT 2005

Hi Oleg,

"Oleg Ivanenko" <oai-ash at yandex.ru>:
> Hi all!
>
> Trouble 1.
> I have track1 which sended (before fader) to bus1. When I solo
> track2, bus1 still sounding. I must manual mute track1 for silence...
> Is this right?

Yes. No. Yes. Err. Help please. Paul, Sampo, Jesse, Ron?

> Trouble 2.
> If I crop region or change its length some other way, its automations
> waveforms is shifted to the right. Edit such automations is very
> unhandy...

The current model is: Automation data is a parameter to the *gain* stage
of an Ardour/JACK graph (See the "Redirect" section on
http://ardour.org/manual/intro:concepts for details), *not* to specific
regions. It does not wander along with regions that move, disappear, get
copied etc. This is, by its own terms, what you could call "correct
behaviour". Hey, you can have an automated fader concerto without audio
regions at all :)

But truly: Most users would expect and need automation data to be locked
to the regions it was initially setup for. It's a different model with
some very different implications though.

The assumption that automation data is almost always related to audio
regions wouldn't hurt, I guess. Automation data should be contained in
regions like audio is and profit from all the benefits the "region
concept" has to offer: Non-destructive edits, moves, copies lalala.

Wolfgang