[ardour-users] Ardour Tips and Tricks

smurky typetosmurky at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 13 22:33:15 PDT 2005

I'm anything but an expert, however if I were in your shoes I would get
the ram. Pronto. Then, unless you were planning to get more ram when you
installed and have enough swap space (twice the amount of ram is
standard), you'll need to repartition. Actually at that point I would
say you should reinstall unless it's unfeasible.
Why the fat32 partition instead of a Linux native? What's the file
system on the disk that you're running ardour from? JACK likes ext2, and
ardour can only be as good as JACK will let it be. Use hdparm to tune
your hard drives. Con Kolivas' website has tips for how to do this. Also
there's an Ubuntu howto. There's a package called powertweak which can
also help reduce latency. Figure out the best settings for JACK on your
system. Do dummy runs with ardour and whatever else you'll be running
for the sessions. Let it go for a few hours to make sure that you're not
going to end up in xrun hell. These are the basics as far I can tell.
Read the ardour manual and check out the ardour documentation project.
Links below to the people who actually know what they're talking about.
Good luck in the States.

http://www.djcj.org/LAU/ardour/
http://ardour.org/manual/
http://ck.kolivas.org/audio_hints.txt