[ardour-users] Capturing audio with 2 delta1010lt's (chapter 2)

audio lathe audiolathe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 23:27:09 PST 2005

Well it seems the problem ardour was having is due to a throughput
problem to disk with the intel ICH5 chipset, disk performance is very
bad (udma2) and for some reason stuck there.

In previous versions of the kernel the problem did not seem to exist
so maybe something has broken, I'm on 2.6.10 now. I tried 2.6.11rc2 to
no avail.  I've also been trying older kernel versions.

Some people have posted having the same problems with ICH5 with 2.6
kernel, but I can't work out if the kernel drivers have got more
broken or ardour has got more sophisticated wrt disk throughput
checks. I know this as we did a recording session with the machine
april 2004 (8 channels at 22050hz).

Currently I am reconfiguring another 2.4Ghz machine with ICH2 to see
if I can resolve throughput to disk problem (recompile everything etc)
while I'm seeing if I can make headway with an additional HPT 366 IDE
controller in the primary machine (2.8Ghz, 2Gb ram GA-81PE1000 Pro2 )
as a temporary work-around to ICH5 throughput problems.

So I won't be able to check the sync problems till it's resolved (one
way or another!). I would rather be recording our jams though - cause
we are sounding pretty good and I got a lot of good mics going to
waste right now!!!!  :-(

Thanks fellas.