[ardour-users] Capturing audio with 2 delta1010lt's (chapter2 )

Nathan_Christensen at BeverlyCorp.com Nathan_Christensen at BeverlyCorp.com
Mon Jan 24 10:11:38 PST 2005

The M-Audio web site has the following to say on the subject:

Multi-card

Syncing two Delta Series cards together

Configuring two or more Delta cards together can be done by linking the
cards together through the use of external hardware lock via a 75-Ohm RCA
SPDIF cable to allow synchronization between the cards.

The Basics:

When linking Delta cards, one card sends the master clock signal. The rest
of the cards that are synced must receive signal from the card sending the
signal. The S/PDIF connections on the sound cards are color coded for in and
out. On the Delta series sound cards, the out is white and the in is red.
SPDIF cables can be obtained from any Music Industry store or Home Stereo
store.

Note about SPDIF cables, these cables are not the same type of cabling used
for analog audio, the internal resistance of the cable is different than for
analog audio. Although analog RCA may appear to work, it is not reliable.
Examples of SPDIF cables can be found at www.hosatech.com

1. Connect the 75-Ohm cable from the out (white) S/PDIF connection of card
sending master clock to the in (red) connection of the receiving card. Each
additional card must be hooked in a daisy chain type of configuration.

2. Open the M Audio Delta H/W. The installed sound cards will appear down
the right hand side of the panel. Select the card sending master clock.

3. On the Hardware settings tab of the master card select "Internal Xtal"
for the "Master Clock setting". In the "MultiTrack Driver Devices", please
select "multiple card sync".

4. On the Hardware settings tab of all other synced cards, select "S/PDIF
in" for the "Master Clock setting". In the "MultiTrack Driver Devices",
please select "multiple card sync".

After these steps are taken, the hardware is configured for use. The only
step left to be is setting up your application to use the additional
card(s).