[ardour-users] Latency-compensation

Johannes M Ringheim jri at broadpark.no
Sun Jan 9 06:54:56 PST 2005

I'm having more fun then ever with ardour and jack, and now with also
seq24 as a jack-companion this softstudio is becoming extremly powerful.

There's one thing that bugs me, though:

If I set latency to very high (4096), I notice that ardour plays the
sounds as late as the latency says, while the other clients (hydrogen,
specimen) lies a bit before, probably playing sound without compensating
for latency set in jack. This makes the tracks in ardour out of sync
with the rest of the jack-apps. Only thing related in mantis seems to be
#0000202, I've found no other info on this. Have tried using hardware
monitor in ardour, wich didn't help either.

Here's an example of it, ardour playing click and specimen/seq24 playing
a clhihat. Latency 4096 (171ms):
http://pingvin.hib.no/temp/lydopplaster/latencyexample.ogg

The same occurs when using hydrogen.

Any possible solution or workardound? Is this the other clients fault or
ardour's?

Jack - 0.99.10
Ardour - beta23
Specimen - 0.4.3