Fwd: Re: [ardour-dev] Fwd: Re: [ardour-users] Invalid filename

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Fri Jan 7 14:21:16 PST 2005

And back to ardour-users....

----- Forwarded Message -----

Subject: Re: [ardour-dev] Fwd: Re: [ardour-users] Invalid filename
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 15:12:10 -0500
From: Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
To: Jesse Chappell <jesse at essej.net>
Cc: ardour-dev at lists.ardour.org

 [ jesse - sorry, but you'll have to forward this back to a-u because
   i am still not subcribed :( ]

>> "/home/len/ddrive/Ardour/test5/sounds/Audio 1-1?R.wav":
>> (Invalid argument)
>> [ERROR]: Audio 1:1 new capture file not initialized correctly
>>
>> I have determined that the error is caused by a mounted DOS (vfat) filesystem (ddrive direct
>ory).
>> Apparently, the default audio filename (for a new session/region?) is 'Audio 1-1?L.wav' or
>> 'Audio1-1?R.wav', and that seems to be an invalid filename for that type of filesystem?  If
>> create a session on my linux ext3 partition (say, under '/home/len/'), I don't get the error

i hate to say this, but i think you may be stuck with this. unless
somebody can suggest a character that is suitably uncommon in unix
filenames but is still legal on a vfat filesystem.

btw, vfat is a horrible filesystem for audio work, as far as i am
aware.

--p