[ardour-users] Multi Channel Bus Panning Behaviour

Iain Young iain at g7iii.net
Sun Jan 9 07:21:20 PST 2005

Hi Jesse,

You Wrote:

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 04:54:30PM -0500, Jesse Chappell wrote:

> Iain Young wrote on Fri, 07-Jan-2005:

>  > I can play 5.1 audio, and route it out via ac3jack, and the S/PDIF
>  > connector with no problem.
>
> Cool, i'm glad ac3jack works for you.  It needs some fixing up, and I
> plan integrate parts of ac3dec into it so you don't need to pipe
> it.

Yeah, works well, although I found that I was suffering some drop outs,
so I grabbed David Barr's mods that intergrate the ac3dec stuff, and that
seemed to improve things hugely. Still not perfect, but I need to do some
more realtime work on my kernel anyway.

I also suspect that mplayer was creating some issues. Anyone know of
another video player with jack, and framebuffer support ?

>  > Is there a way to have a multi channel bus not do any surround processing,
>  > but just Pre/Post/Fader processing ? Or is it just going to be easier
>  > for me to use 3 stereo busses ?
>
> Yes, just bypass the panner (context menu option, or middle-click).

Ah ha. Perfect. Thanks.

>  > Finally, can anyone confirm which of the 5/6/7/8 channels would respond
>  > to which Loudspeaker in a surround sound setup ?
>
> I don't really understand your question here, our panner is totally
> nonstandard and unrelated to reality.  whatever outputs you connect to
> your output (be that ac3jack, or actual alsa_playback ports) is where
> the audio will go.

Ah gotcha. I was getting confused with thinking the bus was doing
surround sound stuff, rather than just applying the panner.

> You are pushing the boundaries of current ardour usability...
> although multichannel support is there, it is not user friendly
> in the real world yet.

Heh. Oh I pushed jack even further :) Just for kicks, I tried 6
channel audio fed via jack.udp, using a 802.11g network, out via
ac3jack...Must try it with QoS next time...

Thanks again, for clearing up my confusion

Iain